Join us in celebrating International Day of Action for Rivers!
On Monday, March 14th, join us in celebrating the 25th anniversary of International Day of Action for Rivers. The Hydropower Reform Coalition works to protect, enhance, and restore rivers, watersheds, and communities affected by hydropower operations across the United States, and we stand with those doing this same work around the world.
The Day of Action for Rivers focuses on celebrating and protecting rivers. We encourage you to get out and spend time on your local river, tell your elected officials why river protection matters to you, or get involved with your local river conservation group. Our members will be out doing the same, and continuing working to protect rivers as we do every day.
Here are some ways our Coalition takes action to support healthy rivers:
- Since our founding in 1992, Coalition members have successfully restored thousands of river miles affected by hydropower dams. Our efforts together have resulted in many environmental and recreational improvements.
- We have successfully removed dozens of dams through the FERC licensing process and settlement agreements.
- We have protected thousands of miles of river from new hydropower dams that were proposed for construction.
- We defend the authorities of states and tribes to protect water quality and other resources in Congress, as well as the authorities of federal resource agencies.
- We develop resources and provide trainings on how to engage in the FERC licensing process.
Learn more about how our work has helped protect and restore rivers over the years.
Visit International Rivers for more information about International Day of Action for Rivers, and find a local action event to join.