Au Sable River
|Current status||Active |
|Type of facility||Conventional Hydro|
|Mode of hydropower generation||Run-of-river|
|Type of permit||FERC License|
|FERC docket #||P-2447|
|FERC project name||Alcona|
Ownership and operation
|Owner||Consumers Energy Co|
|Owner type||Investor-Owned Utility|
|Year first online (conventional hydro)||1924|
|Transmission or distribution system owner||ITC Transmission|
Power and generating capacity
|Number of units||2|
|Total capacity from hydraulic turbine-generator units within each plant||8.0 mW|
|Average annual net hydropower generation||27,098.3 mWH|
- Dam containing two existing earth fill embankment sections, a concrete core wall, and a steel sheet pile cutoff wall
- A 250-foot-long emergency spillway
- An existing impoundment with an area of 1,470 acre-feet
- A 135-foot-long tailrace
- A concrete and masonry powerhouse containing two generating units
- Transmission facilities, including a powerhouse step-up substation and a 400-foot-long, 138-kilovolt transmission line, and appurtenant facilities
- The project has an average annual energy production of 26,038 MWh, based on a ten-year period of record from 1980 through 1989.
For a detailed description of this project and 10 others included in the Consumers Settlement Agreement, read this summary.
Is there something you’d like to add or correct? Please let us know.
News and updates
From Trout Unlimited6/1/2023
The U.S. Supreme Court is weakening protections for watersheds. We’re restoring them.
From American Whitewater5/31/2023