|Current status||Removed |
|Type of facility||Conventional Hydro|
|Mode of hydropower generation||Run-of-river|
|Type of permit||FERC License|
|FERC docket #||P-2655|
Ownership and operation
|Owner||Matthew D. Swift WC Bradley Co.|
|Transmission or distribution system owner||Georgia Power Co|
The Eagle and Phenix Dam was a stone dam on the Chattahoochee River, in downtown Columbus, Georgia. The dam was built in 1882 to power the Eagle and Phenix Textile Mill. It was located just south of the 13th Street Bridge which connects Columbus to Phenix City, Alabama. The dam produced a 45-acre (18 ha) run of the river reservoir that eextened approximately 1-mile (1.6 km) upstream.
The Eagle and Phenix Dam site is now owned by the City of Columbus. The dam was breached during March 2012 in order to restore natural flowing conditions. This was to create an urban whitewater park along the river.