Marmot Dam P-477

General information

Waterway  Sandy River
Current status   Removed 
Type of facility Conventional Hydro
Type of permit FERC License
Year built 1912
Year retired 2008
Year removed 2007

FERC information

FERC docket # P-477
FERC project name Bull Run
Other projects with this FERC number

Ownership and operation

Owner Portland General Electric Co
Owner type Investor-Owned Utility
Transmission or distribution system owner Portland General Electric Company

Sandy River at former Marmot Dam site

Marmot Dam on the Sandy River and Little Sandy Dam on the Little Sandy River were removed in 2007 and 2008 as part of decommissioning of Portland General Electric’s Bull Run Hydroelectric Project. Members of the Hydropower Reform Coalition participated in the negotiations that led to the settlement agreement for dam removal. Removal of the dams now allows the Sandy River to flow freely making upstream habitat more accessible to anadromous fish.

The former dam site is now in public ownership and managed as a day-use recreation site providing access to the Sandy River.

Read more in this report on removing historic dams (p.32).

Is there something you’d like to add or correct? Please let us know.

Related resources

Related posts