North Umpqua River
|Type of facility
|Mode of hydropower generation
|Type of permit
|FERC docket #
|FERC project name
|Other projects with this FERC number
Ownership and operation
|Year first online (conventional hydro)
|Transmission or distribution system owner
Power and generating capacity
|Number of units
|Total capacity from hydraulic turbine-generator units within each plant
|Average annual net hydropower generation
The North Umpqua Project was constructed between 1947 and 1956. It consists of a series of dams and canals that divert water to the eight developments, each of which has a powerhouse and a dam. The Lemolo No. 1 Development, the furthest upstream development, includes a 120-foot-high diversion dam, a 419-acre reservoir (Lemolo Reservoir) with a total storage of 11,752 feet, 16,310 feet of canal and flumes extending from the Lemolo dam to the penstock intake, a 7,338-foot-long penstock, and a powerhouse on the North Umpqua River at the mouth of Warm Springs Creek, 4.5 miles downstream of the dam at Lemolo Reservoir. The powerhouse contains a single turbine-generator with a rated capacity of 29,000 kilowatts (kW). Storage in Lemolo Reservoir is used to control floods, increase power generation when demand is high in the late fall, and augment flows in the river downstream of the eight developments.
Is there something you’d like to add or correct? Please let us know.